Monday, October 14, 2013

Classroom Updates

Since the beginning of the year, we had to make some updates as to how the classroom worked. Being in special education you always have to be prepared of change and ways to move things around in the room in order to make little spots for students who need to come in and out. I thought I would share with you how I have set up my room now. I only took pictures of the spaces I changed. I hope this gives you ideas on how to make things work in your classroom.

 

This spot is for a preschooler who struggles with sitting down on the carpet and following directions. So when he comes in here we will work on keeping him in one space while working on tasks.

 

A little different view of what the space looks like.

 

Here is a closer view of the table that has his task buckets and then underneath there is a laundry backet. This is still a work in progress, because the student doesn't come in full time yet, but there will be a strip of paper on the table with velcro and one tag from each task will be on that strip of paper that he is required to do. When he has completed this task, he will put it in the laundry bucket and that way he knows he is done with that task. He will be required to complete 3 tasks and than at the end of the strip there will be a choice of a fun activity.

 

Here is another space and this space is more closed off for the student. He likes his privacy and it's less distracting for him as the other students come in and out of the room. Yout notice against the wall there are some three drawer tubs. I got those online from Walmart, because they came in a set of 2 and they were the same price as one in the store. In each drawer there is two tasks to complete. He has a piece of paper with velcro on it and then the paraprofessional or I set it up for him with three tasks and than a picture of a book or an I-pad at the end.

 

In this picture you can kind of see the wall and the table. In the middle of the table is the strip of paper.

Here is an up close picture of what the outside of the drawers look like.

 

This is an example of what one of the inside drawers look like. You can see on the outside there are the two pictures and if they had the strip set up, one picture would be missing. On the inside of every drawer, I put the same picture on the task that way he knows he is picking up the right task.

 

 

Hope you enjoyed. Please email me or comment below with any questions on how things work in my room.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment