Thursday, August 18, 2016

The Lorax

So.....it's been since May I believe since I've posted and a lot has changed.  I've went from a treatment facility to now a school district.  I have learned a lot working at a treatment facility and I am very grateful for that.  With that being said, when I was at the treatment facility, there was no curriculum provided and in which I had to come up with my own reading, writing, math, science and social studies.  I was kind of shocked, but in the end it left me with endless possibilities.  In the unit that I ran, I had different age ranges and different learning abilities.  We did different units and I tried to incorporate all the different learning subjects into one, so it made it more fun for them and interesting.  One of my units that I did was, "The Lorax."  We did writing activities, an art project and math.  With the art project, I searched around the web for some ideas, but then kind of came up with my own and went from there.

I started out reading the book to the kids and no matter how old the kids are, they love being read too. Then we went into compare and contrast activities.  Since I worked in a treatment facility, I was not allowed to take pictures.  The only thing I took pictures of was the end art projects with nobody around.  So, with the compare/contrast projects you can pick different characters and compare them. You can do journal prompts from the story or ask the students how they would change a part of the story.  The ideas are endless with this unit.

Here is how the art project turned out!




Happy Learning!!

Shannon


1 comment: